It is one thing to say that therapeutic cannabis provides relief for patients suffering from certain pathologies (disorders or diseases). Specifying them and adding a few studies to them is another. In this article, we offer you an overview of these pathologies. To show the different symptoms that can be relieved by cannabis.
Table of Contents
The loss of appetite is a disorder characterized by a desire to eat almost nonexistent. The causes of this disorder are numerous. Sometimes it can be due to a state of stress, depression, digestive illness, or even cancer. Only a doctor can accurately determine the origin of the problem.
What is the contribution of therapeutic cannabis for this disorder? Cannabis has an orexigenic property. In other words, it stimulates the appetite. This benefit has been used for centuries. So, for people with appetite disturbances, it would be a possible solution. In this regard, in 2006, this study (in English) shows that the CB1 receptor participates in the central control of appetite.
PARTICULARLY PAINFUL DISEASES OR PATHOLOGIES
Certain diseases or disorders have a reputation for inflicting excruciating pain on patients who suffer from them. Here we present a few to you, for illustrative purposes.
- The trigeminal neuralgia : it is also called trigeminal neuralgia. It is irritation of one of the twelve pairs of cranial nerves that supply the face, the trigeminal nerve, or number 5 nerve. It is mainly characterized by severe pain affecting one side of the face. The cause of this problem is not fixed. But, very often, facial neuralgia is due to contact between the trigeminal nerve and a blood vessel. It is necessary to have the advice of a doctor.
- The Fibromyalgia : it a syndrome characterized by widespread pain throughout the body. Which are accompanied by fatigue and loss of appetite. As of this writing, its causes are not clearly defined. So we ignore that aspect.
- The headache : it is a particular form of headache (headache). This very often manifests itself in seizures that may last a few hours. Their frequency varies from one individual to another. It differs from a classic headache, through the duration of the pain. But also by its beginnings. Usually, the sufferer will first experience pain on one side of the head. In addition, the distinction is made on the fact that it can be accompanied by nausea.
- The painful periods ; they are also called dysmenorrhea. These are menstrual disorders. These are mainly characterized by pain in the lower abdomen before or during menstruation. The duration of these pains varies on average between two and three days.
- The osteoarthritis : or osteoarthritis. It is a chronic condition. People who suffer from it usually experience persistent pain in the joints caused by abnormal wear and tear of the cartilage and the entire joint. In this regard, the most affected parts are usually the knees, hips and spine. Indeed, its causes are numerous. It ranges from genetic factors to inflammation processes.
Above have been presented to you some disorders / pathologies inflicting pain on people who suffer from it. This list is not exhaustive. That said, what is the contribution of therapeutic cannabis to them? In fact, cannabis has analgesic or analgesic properties. In other words, it helps reduce pain in patients suffering from particularly painful diseases or disorders. This is the case with the examples taken above.
The spasticity is the result of an injury to the brain or spinal cord. Individuals who suffer from it show a loss of control over their muscles. Allodoctor describes spasticity as follows:
“Muscles that suddenly come into contact after a movement, arms and legs so tight that they seem frozen like the limbs of a statue. ”
Since 1980, cannabis-based treatments have been used on patients with spasticity. On this subject, let’s take the example of Sativex. Despite controversial opinions, It is nevertheless prescribed in Europe and France.
AIDS / HIV
People who suffer from AIDS / HIV face parallel symptoms. Among others, muscle pain, loss of appetite, depression, anxiety, nausea and paresthesias. It is important to relieve these symptoms. Patients in whom medical cannabis was used showed improvements. Still on the subject of AIDS / HIV, deep research is needed to study the ability of cannabis to act on immune cells affected by the virus. In other words, therapeutic cannabis could, in the years to come, arise as an alternative of choice to existing solutions.
The Glaucoma refers to a disease of the eye that causes irreversible reduction of vision. In fact, it is the direct result of damage to the optic nerve. The person who has it is likely to go blind if it is not taken care of quickly. Having said that, what can cannabis do in this case? In fact, it considerably reduces intraocular pressure. By that, mean the reduction of the pressure inside the eyeball.
Otherwise called autism spectrum disorder . Indeed, it is a disorder of human neurodevelopment which is characterized by various elements. Among others: difficulties in social interactions, communication and behavior, interests of a restricted, repetitive, stereotypical nature. Medicinal cannabis helps to relieve symptoms associated with Autism.
The asthma is a disease that affects the bronchi. How it works ? In fact, during an asthma attack, a person’s bronchial tubes become inflamed. Therefore, they shrink. This prevents the air from circulating well in the lungs. Results: the subject has difficulty breathing well. What is the point of therapeutic cannabis here? In fact, very old studies show that cannabis would have a dilating and anti-inflammatory action on the bronchi. Which can be of great help for people with asthma.
Passortsanté offers a clear and precise definition of this disease. We give it to you.
The epilepsy is a neurological disease that results in abnormal electrical activity of the brain.
Children, adolescents and the elderly are particularly affected. What is the interest of therapeutic cannabis for this disease? The white paper published by the Hemp Union argues that cannabidiol:
“(…) Could reduce the frequency of seizures and have an adequate safety profile in children and young adults with treatment-resistant epilepsy. “(P.102)
The book on therapeutic cannabis mentioned above describes its contribution to cancer. According to its authors, cannabis:
“(…) (A) moderate action on pain (and) may also prove useful in preventing chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting and other symptoms of the disease, but also potentially on tumor growth itself cancerous. “(P.102)